Sunday 12 February 2017

Things I Have Learnt From Being a Student Nurse


I'm in my final year of my Adult Nursing Degree now. I've loved every minute of my training and it has really changed me as a person and how I perceive things. I've learnt a lot over these three years and I thought I would share them.

  1. The first thing that I have learnt is that no matter how bad you think things are for you, someone will ALWAYS have it worse. Just seeing and knowing this makes me feel really thankful for what I have, and not to take things for granted.
  2. You can learn so much about life from elderly people, they have such a wide range of knowledge. I love working with elderly people, they are so wise, and have experienced so much. As a student I have had time to chat to a lot of elderly people and I find it fascinating learning about their pasts, and thoughts on things. Unfortunately, as a nurse I won't have a lot of time to do this.
  3. There is always something new to be learnt. Just when you're feeling confident you know your stuff, something crops up that you have never seen or heard of. I love how new developments in medicine and healthcare means that there is always something new to be learnt. This keeps the career interesting, and I've always loved learning.
  4. Don't get stressed about little things. Being a student nurse has taught me how to manage my stress. I like using the concept of referring to things as worries or problems. If its a problem, you have control of it and you can do something to solve that problem. If it's a worry, then there is nothing you can do about it and therefore, it is a waste of time to think and get anxious about it.
  5. There is no better feeling than when a patient or a relative thanks you and you know you have helped them and made a difference to their stay, or even life.
  6. How to communicate with a wide range of people using different tools and methods. How not being able to communicate effectively with someone can effect care and their experience.
  7. Never assume anything, because 80% of the time the assumptions you make will be incorrect!

I'm very much looking forward to qualifying in July and having a lifetime of learning and development in my nursing career :)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© My lovely little blog. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig